Sunday, February 15, 2015

Part 1: Who Doesn't Love Bacon?

Bacon. That one word has become the epitome of all that is trendy and tasty in the food world, at least in certain circles.

Everyone knows that bacon is pork, but what is the process by which plain old fatty pork is transformed into that miraculous food, that delicious, meaty goodness with the bits of crispy fat that melt in your mouth?

Well, it's not as difficult as you might think. After you've made it for yourself and tasted how wonderful bacon can be, you might not want to buy it from the store ever again!

Let's start at the beginning.

Pigs have been domesticated for thousands of years, both in Central Asia and Europe. They are a great food source, being high in fat, which = energy. Pork also preserves well, and you can make any number of items from one pig: sausages, chops, roasts, and of course, bacon, to name a few.

Salting and curing meats is an ages old method of preservation. Prior to ice boxes and refrigeration, salting and smoking were often the only ways of keeping meat edible for more than a couple of days.

Out of necessity, beauty is born.

So, what is it that helps bacon stay fresh for so long? Salt, yes, but also sodium nitrite. During the 1900s, it was discovered that the addition of sodium nitrite significantly slowed the growth of harmful bacteria, such as botulism, in food. It also is what adds that appealing pink color to ham and bacon. It is also carcinogenic and toxic in large quantities, which is why it is used in such small quantities. A 2lb bag of Morton's Tender Quick contains only 0.5% of sodium nitrite.

On to the fun stuff.

The first step for making bacon is getting a slab of pork belly. I chose to buy some from The Merc out in Lawrence, KS. However, I discovered later that Herman's Meats here in Topeka carries 5lb slabs, pre-measured and frozen. It's up to you how you want to purchase it. At The Merc, you can get different sized pieces, and if you live in Topeka, it's a bit of a drive.




This is the beautiful meat I chose to turn into that most savory and fragrant of anytime-foods. Two pieces means two variations. This time, I chose to use a recipe I've used before for the larger piece and for the smaller, I wanted to see what an Asian inspired cure would be like.



For the first piece, the smaller of the two slabs, I combined, per pound:

1Tbsp Morton's Tender Quick
1Tbsp Brown sugar

Then, I combined separately:

5-spice powder
Ginger, ground
Cayenne

I mixed the above three ingredients until it tasted the way I wanted it to, then added it to the Tender Quick, brown sugar mixture.

Next, I coated the entire slab with molasses for two reasons. One, I love the flavor of molasses and I thought it would go well with the spices, and two, it helps the cure to stick to the meat.



Finally, I packed on the cure, making sure to cover both sides.






I wrapped the meat in several layers of plastic. A gallon sized zip bag works very well, but I didn't have one. Then, I wrapped it back in the butcher paper and put it in the fridge.

The beauty of making bacon at home is you can make any combination of flavors you want. You can be inspired, creative. The sky is the limit.

Next is the hardest part--waiting. The bacon will need to cure for at least 7 days per inch. Let the waiting begin....

Part 2 coming soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment