Sunday, July 28, 2013

Cheese Experiment #1: Paneer

Here we go, cheese numero uno on my journey into cheese making. I'm stoked!

The first step is to collect all the supplies. For this recipe, I'll need:

Non-reactive pot
Measuring cup
Whisk
Rubber spatula
Thermometer
Cheese Cloth
Strainer
Draining rack
4lb Weight






Next, get all the ingredients. This one is pretty easy.

10 cups 2% milk
5 cups Buttermilk
1/2 tsp Sea Salt

Three ingredient recipe? I think that's doable.

I put the milk in the pot and heated it to 175 or 180 degrees. It took a loooooong because you have to heat the milk slowly.



 Next, I added the buttermilk and the coagulation was fairly instantaneous. I then raised the heat to 195 degrees. Here's what the curd looked like.




After the curd had cooked and set a little, there was a large collection of fairly firm curds in the pot.




Next, the curd is drained in cheesecloth, salted, and pressed.




 
 

Final product:





Not the prettiest paneer ever. I think perhaps the curds were too cool when I pressed them, so they didn't make a block, but holy cow is it delicious!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment