Friday, May 3, 2013

Chinatown

I couldn't wait to get to Chinatown. I was so excited to see what it was like, experience China in another country. Now I've been there twice. Once on my birthday, quick walk through, visit to a temple which I posted about earlier, and again on Wednesday. Both times, I as struck  by the fact that it looked and sounded and smelled exactly like China!

It's Chinatown, you say, of course it is like China. No, I mean I might as well have been on the street in Beijing. The banks were Chinese, the newspapers were Chinese, the seafood restaurants had live fish that you selected for your meal. There were roasted ducks in the windows.


And, not to miss out, we went to Nom Wah Tea Parlor, which bills itself as the oldest Dim Sum restaurant in New York City.



If only there were more hours in the day, I would have gone back every day this week. It was delicious, real Chinese awesomeness. There is not much better than having the opportunity to try so many things. The way dim sum works is that you order a number of small plates. Think Chinese tapas. There are only a few of each things on the plate, so you get to work your way through five or six different items, savoring each one as you go.

  
Delicious Pork Fried Dumplings

Fried Scallion Pancake with Soy Sauce
Steamed Shrimp and Pea Pod Dumplings
Pork Short Ribs in a salty spicy sauce
Shanghai Soup Dumplings
House Special Steamed Pork Bun

Inside of said bun--pork and onion goodness

After all of this and a pot of jasmine tea, we rolled ourselves out to the street and made our way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment