Monday, May 13, 2013

Overload and Institutions

So, I am back in Kansas, and it has taken me a week to get back on track with the restaurant. It's graduation season and that means lots of extra parties and caterings. I want everyone to know that there is much more New York to come, though. Keep reading and new stories will be showing up. :)

In the mean time, let's talk about Mother's Day. I've been a horrible person. This past year, my grandmother went to live in a skilled care facility, basically a nursing home. While the place is great, the rooms are comfortable, staff friendly, and there is no weird odor, I've been hesitant to visit, and in all honesty, Mother's Day was the first time I'd been there to see her. She, being the kind hearted person that she is, didn't hold it against me. Instead, she was simply thrilled that I came to see her at all. I'll be building more visits into my schedule, and perhaps bringing her food once in a while, which brings me to the focus of my post.

I've heard stories....about the food. I understand this is an institutional setting and I understand that a lot of people there are on restricted diets, but for the life of me I cannot understand why, in such an expensive facility, they cannot afford quality food for the residents. When you are living inside all day, with minimal activities to keep you occupied, you look to your meals for excitement. I feel a new mission coming on, a  keen desire to look into how food preparation works in this place. Is the budget that restrictive that they cannot hire skilled individuals in the kitchen to keep my grandmother from eating mush pasta and cardboard pork chops?

Inquiring minds want to know, and find out, I shall.

No comments:

Post a Comment