Sunday, July 15, 2012

Sauerkraut Part Two

Ok, so, yesterday, I posted that I was going to make sauerkraut. Well, I couldn't wait! Darn, I should have taken pictures! I'll get the hang of this yet, folks.

It really is a simple process. First, I sliced cabbage into thin strips, separated them into a large bowl, and tossed it all with some kosher salt. Then, in a smallish (think 2 gallon) bucket that I scalded with boiling water, I packed down all the cabbage. Since I don't have a big rock to put on top, I used  a pan that fit perfectly into the bucket, and inside of the pan, I put a jug of water, to put pressure on the cabbage and force out the juice. Now, the way it works is, the juice will become brine, as it mixes with the salt I put on the cabbage. Combine that with the natural bacteria in the air, and it will start to ferment.

In a couple of days, I will check in on it and see if there is enough brine to cover the cabbage. If not, I will have to make some and add it to the bucket.

Until then, signing off on the Sauerkraut Project.

No comments:

Post a Comment