Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Starter and Kraut Update

Sooo.....my starter did not turn out particularly well. I attempted it with rye flour and lets just say it didn't go. However, I am proposing an experiment for myself. I am going to set up a variety of starters on the weekend. I will work with three flours, white, wheat and rye. I will also work with tap water, distilled water and water that I boil in my own kitchen.

As for the sauerkraut, again, something I will need to work on. Unlike my initial attempt a year ago, the salted cabbage did not create its own brine. I hope I caught it soon enough, but I'm not sure. I added enough brine to cover the cabbage in the bucket. Another couple of days will tell.

Oh, and a super exciting recipe I found yesterday is a 19th century recipe for yeast water! That's right, naturally produced yeast water. I know, I know, that's basically what a starter is for, but I plan on giving it a try and seeing if the bread made from the yeast water will be different than from either a starter or a regular packaged yeast.

Hmmm....seems like a bit of bread making is in my future....and that means yours as well. Are you excited?

No comments:

Post a Comment